Friday, August 6, 2010

Patch

We are waiting for our stuff to arrive, and in the meantime we don't have much to do. No cookware means we are using a camping pot, plastic bowl, and plastic forks to eat some simple meals. We don't have a bed, couch, or TV, internet, New York Times, or Scrabble to keep us busy. Last night it stormed so badly that the power went out for an hour. So we got in the car and headed to the movie theater. Along the main road I swerved to avoid hitting a dog. We pulled over and found this little guy.
He was lost and scared, but very friendly. We ended up at Walmart buying him a leash and collar and some food. We put him in the bathroom for the night.
Not knowing what to do in a town without Craigslist, we went to the animal hospital. They said "Dogs like that are a dime a dozen around here...but maybe you can call the radio station". I like the fact that you can call the local radio station looking for a dog, or reporting a lost one.
I started to get attached to this little guy. I've never been a dog person, but found myself fantasizing about driving around the countryside with my faithful Beagle by my side. I even started trying out names- "Shakey", "Bagle", "Charlie". I called the radio station, they took down the info, and within an hour I got a call from "Billy". He had called in to the radio station that morning. His granddaughter's Beagle got lost in last night's storm, and he was relieved to have found him. "Patch" was the dog's name. So long, Patch.

No comments: