Thursday, August 5, 2010

We doped up the cats and hit the road. I should have tried some of that "homeopathic pet relaxer" for myself. Popped in a book on tape, and started driving. Through the long state of Kansas we drove. There were times along the way that I wished that we could have stopped to make photographs...Like the woman pumping gas with her cat in her arms at a truck stop, or the small towns in West Virginia. But we couldn't be out of the car for more than a minute without the cats starting to fry. The numerous billboards along the way that say "Never leave a child in a car" helped remind us.
JP liked being out of the box, and slept most of the way in the middle space so he could look out the front window. Slim liked to stay in his little cubby hole (the cat carrier)
We pulled over at a Bob's Big Boy hamburger in Illinois(for nostalgic reasons. Thank god there aren't any more of those in Colorado- I'd be huge.) Just getting out of the AC into the humid air caused my camera to steam up.
West Virginia sure looks beautiful. If there was a nice little no-frills teaching job in Charleston W.VA I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Our backyard is perfect for croquet or whiffle ball. It backs up onto college-owned land. Sonya and I went on to campus yesterday and played tennis. After an hour my clothes were soaked.



There are bugs here all over the place. We'll have to buy a vacuum just to hoover up all the dead ladybugs. Sonya just called to tell me she found a tick. The boy's hair is starting to curl. It rained so hard last night, with huge thunder and lightning. We've definitely found ourselves in a strange and exciting new land.

No comments: