Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I took some paintings from undergrad out to the landfill. They were taking up too much space, but after the fact I realise how much of a time capsule they were. Here is a self portrait from when I shared a little studio apartment above J. Pitners clothing emporium. If I could go back and paint it over I would probably use a brush instead of a knife...that was always my problem.
Self Portrait #2. I seemed to really like wearing white tank-tops in those days.
Here is a portrait of my friend Ann Pallesen. To get her to pose on that couch I had her come over to my parents house, but she wanted to be able to bring her portable VCR/TV set. i remember her watching "True Romance" while my parents ate grapefruit on a Sunday morning. Not the easiest thing to paint to. I like the Lucian Freud quality. I think I even used a brush on this one. My painting instructor, Patrice Sullivan, always referred to it as "that painting of the greyhound"

No comments: